Happy May Everyone
This month, A Cup A Day is doing something special in honor of Cancer Research Month:
A Shell A Day
On May 17th, I will be joining my fellow PTs from Culpeper Regional Hospital in the local Relay For Life event. Communities across the globe come together to honor cancer survivors, remember loved ones lost, and fight back against the disease that has taken so much. Relay teams camp over night and take turns walking or running for 24 hours, because cancer never sleeps and true victorious fight requires the strength and support of a community.
When my mother was diagnosed with stage IV inflammatory breast cancer, my family and I felt lost. It is through strong community and love that my mom found strength to fight for so long and where my family and I found resources to help us with her loss once she was gone. The American Cancer Society is working to help those still fighting and provide resources for survivors and their families.
A Relay For Life event is not only a way to join my community to fight back against cancer, but it is also a way to inspire hope by raising funds and cancer awareness to help those facing the disease.
Want to help out and get some sweet art in the process? Check it out:
- Each day in May, instead of a coffee cup, I will be painting a shell as a fundraising effort for The American Cancer Society. Interested in owning one of these shells? Be the first to post a comment on my blog each day with a donation pledge and I’ll mail you the shell (or hand deliver with a hug if you live close or someplace interesting 🙂 )
- Visit my fundraising site: http://main.acsevents.org/goto/ashelladay From here you can:
- Fulfill your shell pledge
- Donate or dedicate a luminaria to a survivor or in memory of love ones lost (these light the path for those walking in the evening)
- Join my team! Going to be in D.C. or Northern Virginia Saturday May 17? I’ll be driving out to Culpeper after my graduation around 8pm, carpool with me and come play! (disclaimer, there will be singing in the car!)
Two shells up for grabs today!!
First, the homeostasis shell from a few weeks ago:
Today’s shell, a special design for the Relay for Life event: